Welcome to my blog! This is a place of information and hope for fellow Canadians who are suffering from Lyme disease. I want to share with you the knowledge I have gained during my fight with this debilitating, frightening, and misunderstood illness. I hope you will be blessed.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Back in the driver's seat


Today I had a realization.....a good one!  I finally feel like I am back in control of my life, back in the driver's seat!  Lyme has moved over.  It's not sitting in the passenger seat, nor the back seat.  It's in the trunk!

Yes, it's still with me, but I only notice it once in a while.....like that jug of windshield washer fluid in the trunk that clunks now and then when you take a corner.  But I am driving the car with my hands firmly on that wheel.  And it feels so good to no longer be ruled by the borrelia burgdorferi.

Returning to my teaching job this September has been great, even therapeutic.  I'm busy, my mind is active, and I'm so happy to be teaching my lovely students.  I love thinking about my lesson plans, my units, and YES, even the marking.  I'm honestly so glad and grateful to be able to keep up with the demands of my job.

Exercise is becoming another good routine that I'm putting into place, and that I'm happy to be able to do.  (Wow, I can hardly believe I'm saying this.)  A lot of flab built up since I got sick in 2011!  Laying on the couch, unable to even walk around the block, and feeding yourself comfort foods will do that, right?  It's time for me to get my body back in shape, build up my stamina, and tone those muscles.   

Finally, I feel so good to be getting my eating under control, not just for weight loss, but for good health and a healthy immune system.  For over a week now, I've been counting the "points" of everything going into my mouth (à la Weight Watchers).  I've set a weight loss goal for next July, so we'll see how that goes.  So far so good!

OK, so Lyme may always be with me, but it isn't (and shouldn't be) the focal point of my life anymore.  It is time to move on from that horror show.  It may pop by for a little unexpected visit now and then, causing me some physical symptoms, but I won't be inviting it in to wreak havoc on my emotions.  I have better and more meaningful things to do with my time.

   Forgetting what lies behind
and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
I press on toward the goal for the prize
of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13, 14