Welcome to my blog! This is a place of information and hope for fellow Canadians who are suffering from Lyme disease. I want to share with you the knowledge I have gained during my fight with this debilitating, frightening, and misunderstood illness. I hope you will be blessed.

Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!



Here we are, almost at the start of the New Year!  It is 5:40 p.m. as I write, so our evening celebrations have not yet begun.  Tonight, I don't really have the desire to be "whooping it up"!  A quiet family time is what we have planned - me, my hubby, and our kids.  In about an hour, we'll be enjoying some cheese and chocolate fondu, followed by learning how to play Blokus which my son received for Christmas.  And I'm afraid that we'll ALL be in bed before the clock strikes twelve!

As I reflect back on 2012, it was a pretty good year.  January began with quite an improvement in my health, after having begun treatment for Lyme six months earlier, in June 2011.  I was actually ready to return to work teaching (on a modified schedule) by March.  It was tiring, but I managed to persevere and make it until the end of June, when I could rest up for 2 months.  In September, I returned to my regular half-day position and have been handling it well.  In November, I was able to stop the antibiotics after 18 months!  Whether I have been cured, or have simply gone into remission, is an "unknown" I'll just have to live with.

I have several New Year's resolutions.....all related to my health.  I admit that I have not been very diligent in boosting my immune system since I finished treatment.  I've fallen into some bad habits, so it's time to start fresh and get some good routines into my life.  Here's my list:

1. Lose weight!  I gained A LOT while I was sick, so now is the time to take it off and feel like myself again.
2. Eat well:  Low sugar, low carbs, lots of protein, and veggies.
3. Sleep! I must stop burning the midnight oil, even though I've been a night hawk since childhood. I'm going to shoot for at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep a night.
4. Exercise at least 3 times a week.  I joined a health club in November.  Now it's time to really USE my membership.

My list probably looks similar to everyone else's lists.  Fairly typical resolutions.  However, these things are so important to the health of a Lyme patient.  Keeping our immune system healthy is very important so that we don't relapse.

I'm going to leave you with a bit of news from the Lyme world.  Here is an interesting report from Lymedisease.org that was published around Thanksgiving.  It's a review of many positive things which happened with regard to Lyme disease in 2012.  Click here to read the report.

I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year!  May this be a year of good things for all of you.  If you are being treated for Lyme disease, may you have perseverance and peace.  The road will be bumpy, but it is one worth travelling to reach the destination of restored health.  My thoughts and prayers are with you all.